HSOP's “Seniors for Seniors” Program offers discounted adoption fees for senior citizens who adopt senior animals. Pets adopted through this program are $40 for both cats and dogs. Along with the discounted adoption fees, qualified Senior adopters will receive some supplies to get started with a new pet.
To qualify for this program you must be at least sixty (60) years of age. Qualifying pets must be six (6) years or older.
As a benefit of this program, we set aside some funding for emergency medical assistance for animals adopted through this program since senior pets are more likely to need medical care than younger animals throughout the remainder of the pets life. Likewise, there may be times when our senior citizens have medical issues that make it difficult for them to care for a pet so we’ll offer to provide foster homes for these pets if temporary housing is needed when the owner is unable to care for their pet.
What you get with this Program:
- A wonderful mature pet that has been:
- Spayed or neutered
- Treated for fleas and ticks
- FIV & Feline Leukemia tested (cats)
- Heartworm tested (dogs)
- The animal's known medical history
- A free health exam for your pet within one month of the adoption
- Initial supplies to make your pet feel at home—we'll even loan you a crate if you want to crate train your new dog
- Information on available resources to help you care for your new pet
- Assistance with transporting your pet to the vet for routine appointments
- Foster care for your pet if needed in emergencies
- Financial assistance for emergency medical care (as funds are available)