Normal adoption fees are:
- $135 for dogs and puppies
- $95 for cats and kittens
This fee includes:
- Spaying and neutering
- First vaccinations - DHLPP for dogs; FVRCP for cats -in some cases, 2nd vaccinations if the animal has been with us for long enough
- Bordatella for kennel cough
- Deworming medication
- Flea and tick control
- General health and behavior screening
- Free vet screening at VCA of Parkersburg
Please note we often have special and sponsored animals in our shelter, which means that all or a portion of the animals' adoption fee may be paid for by a generous supporter of our shelter. This can vary from animal to animal.
Seniors Program Fees:
$40 for qualifying dogs and cats
What you receive with this Program:
- A wonderful mature pet that has been:
- Spayed or neutered
- Treated for fleas and ticks
- FIV & Feline Leukemia tested (cats)
- Heartworm tested (dogs)
- The animal's known medical history
- A free health exam for your pet within one month of the adoption
- Initial supplies to make your pet feel at home—we'll even loan you a crate if you want to crate train your new dog
- Information on available resources to help you care for your new pet
- Assistance with transporting your pet to the vet for routine appointments
- Foster care for your pet if needed in emergencies
- Financial assistance for emergency medical care (as funds are available)
Requirements: Cats and dogs must be at least six (6) years of age and adopters must be at least sixty (60) years young.
We have a special procedures if you are not from the local area (more than 1 hour away from Parkersburg) and wish to adopt an animal that needs to be spayed or neutered but we cannot have this done by a vet locally before you take the pet home.
The adoption fee for out of area adopters is:
- $40 for dogs and puppied
- $30 for cats and kittens.
However, you must also pay a $50 spay/neuter deposit which is refundable upon proof that the procedure has been done. A date by which your pet must be spayed or neutered will be included in your adoption contract. The spaying and neutering cost will be your responsibility.
Animals already spayed and neutered at the time of adoption are adoptable at the normal fee as described in the section above.
Other Fees (Optional)
- Heartworm Test – Dogs Only: You may elect to have us do a heartworm test on your dog prior to you taking them home. The cost is $25 and will also be paid at the time you sign your contract and pay your adoption fee.
- Microchipping: We will microchip your new pet before they go home for $25 and this is a one-time fee for the life of your pet.
- Wood County Dog License – Wood County Resident Dogs Only: If you live in Wood county it is required that you have a dog license for your dog at a cost of $6 for City residents and $3 for county residents. You may purchase this license from the Shelter or at the County Courthouse.
- Combo Test - Cats Only: You may elect to have us do a feline leukemia/FIV test on your cat prior to you taking them home. The cost is $25 and will also be paid at the time you sign your contract and pay your adoption fee.